Friday, April 20, 2012

Read Books!

Reading is fundamental! According to the National Basketball Association.

Sacred Hoops by Phil Jackson
If you speak and act with a polluted mind, suffering will follow you, as the wheels of the oxcart follow the footsteps of the ox. If you speak and act with a pure mind, happiness will follow you, as a shadow clings to a form.
I read this book my freshman year in college and I could not put it down. The author was the former coach of the Chicago Bulls and at the time current coach for the Los Angeles Lakers. Of course I had to listen to what led to championships, since one of my own was in progress. I took it to heart and it was life changing for me, the rest was history.

Catholic Warrior by Robert Abel
With the power and authority that God has given me to keep my spiritual sanctuary clean, I say to the demons, “This is my circle of influence. There are no trespassers allowed. I have given you a command; because you have not obeyed my orders, I judge you as disobedient, and sentence you to be destroyed in the lake of fire.”

When I pray to have the demons destroyed it’s like cleaning house. It wouldn’t be right to take my trash and throw it in my neighbor’s yard. Trash needs to be properly disposed of in the landfill, or in this case the lake of fire.

Once a warrior learns how to take authority over his own inner sanctuary, he is ready to use the same principles to increase his circle-of-influence. In the same way the Israelites were sent to take authority over every place the soles of their feet tread.

A priest is a man who calls forth the power of God…A prophet is a man who speaks the Word of God and delivers God’s message…A king is a man who rules over his kingdom…He has called every Catholic to be priest, prophet, and king. He wants his children to push back enemy lines, utilize the power of the angelic army, strike down anything demonic, and purge all evil from his kingdom. He has called every warrior into battle! (Abel 83-90).
Abel, Robert. Catholic Warrior. Denver: Valentine Publishing House, 2004.

I read this book after graduating from college. A friend of mine, a brother in Christ, one whom I have deepest respect for, let me borrow this book and it put things more in perspective. I still find myself applying this principle. It’s about having authority over you own life, your circle of influence, it’s about controlling what’s around you and protecting your happiness. I’ve been doing this for years it’s not something that I started last night. I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again, this world is a mean and nasty place and I don’t care who you are, it will try to take everything you have and throw you to the ground and keep you there permanently if you let it.

“The Lord is with me like a dread warrior; therefore my persecutors will stumble, and they will not prevail.” -Jeremiah 20:11

In a night of defeat, with authority that I've been granted, I’m claiming victory.

Huge weight has lifted off my shoulders. Life is great!!!!! Isn't it? :)

No comments: