Monday, June 11, 2012

Summer Time!

One week of summer has gone by. What did I do? I slept the entire week. That would be my typical response to the media. I did way more than that, but I don’t want everyone to know about the underground work that I’ve been doing. Are you kidding me? This is the World Wide Web and I don’t want the public to know.

Did I mention that I loved my job? Okay, I’m going to stop bragging for now and time to get serious. June, July, and August are the best months out of the year for me. They are filled with lots of fun activities and I am my own boss. My school district still pays me for those months to do absolutely nothing. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve earned that right August through May, believe me because it’s nonstop action, but my reward is the summer. I don’t know any other job that gives you 3 months off. Maybe a 2 week vacation tops, but 3 months? Either way, I’ve been given a short time frame to regroup so that I can come back and repeat that challenging cycle, but come back a better person than what existed in May. This is my offseason to improve in everything that I can. There’s not a lot of time, but I can assure you that when I come back partied out ready for next school year, I will not be the same person that I was yesterday. In the summer (June, July, and August):

1. I sleep as much as I sleep the entire school year because some days I don’t even sleep. There’s just so much work and procrastinating that takes place. I finally get to sleep when I want for as long as I want. “El sueño es la mitad de la vida.”

2. I eat more during these three months than normal, so that’s why it’s important to watch what I eat and eat what I watch. If I’m in California anything goes. “Una vez al año no hace daño.”

3. I work out more than usual because I have the time and motivation to do so. After all, who wears shirts in the summer? I have to so I can compensate because all the food that I consume requires me to burn those calories, so that’s another reason. Yeah, I burn calories, yeah I work out. These fitness gurus said: Guys, you want guns? Girls you want buns…Well, You have to work hard. “Preocúpate por número uno y que número dos se preocupe Dios.”

4. I filled my mind with knowledge by most recently taking summer classes to finish my degree. On a personal level I have several books to read, and film to study, etc. We never stop learning. Anything that will give me an edge. “Vamos a descansar cuando vayamos a morir.”

5. I do some summer cleaning. This is one way to get organized and keep things simple and clutter free. Organize your stuff, and you organize your life! Okay, okay, I’ll get to it. “El huevo tiene doble trabajo.”

6. I spend a lot of time with my family and friends more during this time than the rest of the year. They keep in touch all year round even in long distance and vice versa. I like to take the opportunity to add to the fun memories by traveling and visiting my people. Everyone expects my visit every year. They anticipate it and prepare for my hyperactive behavior. It’s all a show. “La familia viene primero.”

7. I take the opportunity to learn more about my faith, so that I can continue to do God’s work. On top of everything else, He even gives me three months every year to get closer to Him because He is good and deserving of my love and attention. “Gracias a Dios por un pan que comer sin saberlo merecer.”

8. I have fun! I am thankful for every summer day, even the 100+ degree days. I enjoy them because these are the days that should be cherished, what a wonderful blessing. If a person in my position cannot be happy during this time of year, then that person is not going to be happy in other times of the year no matter the day, time, weather, etc. There’s so much to do. Get a tan, don’t forget your sunscreen of at least an SPF 30, go out where’s there’s air conditioning, shop, movie theaters, travel to other areas of the country better yet other areas of the world, or some days it might be better to stay home and get better/improve because some days I like to take care of business, but whatever it is that I do I’m going to enjoy it.

No comments: